Remove this ad

snake45

Totally Living in the Past

#21 [url]

Dec 7 12 10:35 AM

those Skyraiders don't appear to have any Insignia on the wings to me?
I don't know why the delay, but, I just got your email a bit ago,,,,,,,did you send it right away and it has been "looping around the servers"?

Rex

-rextn

Bingo! Now, can you tell me why they don't have any insignias on the wings? 

I finally got around to emailing you I think it was yesterday. So it hasn't been looping around for three or four days.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Dec 7 12 10:48 AM

well, that is a relief (the email thing)

nope, as a "token Air Farce modeler only",,,,,,I have no idea why those Air Force Station Wagons don't have wing Insignia,,,,,,,,I literally have spare decals to mail out because everything except a few Phantoms (one of each, not matter who operated them) and some oddball prototypes get bought to build the USN version for my "Grand Historical Collection Theme", rofl

and yup, that means that all of my Station Wagons are for AD-5N, AD-5W, stuff like that

I suppose they could have just left rework, they look pretty fresh, and are headed off to become VNAF

Quote    Reply   

snake45

#23 [url]

Dec 7 12 11:37 AM

well, that is a relief (the email thing)
nope, as a "token Air Farce modeler only",,,,,,I have no idea why those Air Force Station Wagons don't have wing Insignia...I suppose they could have just left rework, they look pretty fresh, and are headed off to become VNAF

-rextn

You're close. They have just left rework (the on the ground pic was taken in the Philippines in 1964), but they're not going to VNAF but to replace the T-28s and B-26s of the Farm Gate program. Now here's the deal: The Farm Gate deal was ostensibly a "training program" for the Vietnamese. Their airplanes (B-26s) normally flew with VNAF insignia on the fuselage only, nothing on the wings. These A-1s are apparently wearing the USAF insignia only for the flight from Philippines to RVN.

Some of them eventually show up with full USAF markings (1965-66 pictures), but I've also found at least two photos (in full color, no less) of one of them with the VNAF insignia on the fuselage sides, nothing on the wings. But the clue to their real USAF/Farm Gate ownership is in two details: They have the black anti-exhaust panels on the side of the fuselage, and the little parallelogram-shaped antenna behind the canopy hump, both of which are absolutely typical of USAF A-1Es but almost never seen on VNAF ones.

Quote    Reply   

berniehackettjr

#24 [url]

Dec 9 12 8:14 PM

Snake:

Damn, no upper wing insignia?

Can't tell about unders, guessing also among the missing?

Odd.

Another "always there" shot in the tush!

Probably a story there, which we'll never hear.

Regards,

Bernie

Boy modeler

Bernie Hackett, boy modeler

Quote    Reply   

snake45

#26 [url]

Dec 15 12 8:01 PM

Meanwhile, work continues on the Monogram A-1E. The fuselage is now about 80-90% "restored." All the hard work is done, just need to button up the details.

Now for the wing, which I'm sort of dreading, as all three pieces of it are a little warped. Gonna be a bit of a challenge to get it all back together and actually straight. Ah shucks oh well.

Before I button the wing up, here's my test of several grays to try to match the Monogram plastic for the canopy frames and any necessary touch-ups. I think the 36375 lightened with white would have been spot-on, but since the RLM 76 is about 98% "there," I'm just going with that.

And to think this started as a simple, quick "just glue it all back together" project. Sigh. Is nothing uncomplicated any more? "Restoring" this thing has been about twice as much work as building a whole new one from the box. And I'm not kidding about that.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

snake45

#28 [url]

Dec 16 12 9:18 AM

Restoration is always harder, you have to fix what's broken and redo what was done badly.

-chris

Oh, you're absolutely right, and this one is even harder because I'm going for a particular, weird result here: I want it to be a memento and relic of my teenage modeling days, but still sit on the shelf and not be something I'm ashamed of today. And that means I'm going for a final finish of the raw plastic (perhaps flatcoated, as I originally did--haven't decided that for sure yet) instead of just painting it. Believe me, painting it would have been MUCH easier.

If I want a full-on, good-as-I-can-make-it build, I have a mint unbuilt NIB kit on the shelf. Which I will probably also do eventually, and have the two displayed as a "Then-and-Now" thing.

Quote    Reply   

snake45

#29 [url]

Jan 1 13 9:00 PM

Major milestone reached on the A-1E rebuild today.

The wing of this thing has always been warped, from Day One. Both wings had a noticeable "gull" arch in them (downward), and the whole wing had insufficient dihedral, giving it a very odd and awful look. (I remember a friend of mine at the time built one, and his looked exactly the same way.) Have been dreading and putting off gluing the wings back together, and trying to straighten them out.

Glued em back together last week, and today I finally took the plunge and tried de-warping. I held the wings, one side at a time, under hot running tap water (don't know the temperature, but it was all my fingers could stand) and bent them the other way. Took a couple apps but I finally got one dead-straight and the other dead-straight at the leading edge and with only a very, very slight gull visible (if you go looking for it) at the trailing edge. Good enough! I once ruined a rare model car body trying to go from 97% to 100% perfect while hot-water unwarping it.

Then I tried to get some dihedral on the thing by hot-watering the centersection and bending. I don't QUITE have that where I want it yet, but at least it's not drooping DOWN anymore. The wild thing is that under the hot water, I had the wing bent up almost 30 degrees at one point, but as it cooled down, it straightened back out somewhat. I'll give that another go tomorrow.

But the wing being done--or at least in sight of it--gives me hope and momentum to drive on and finish up this little hot mess! Courage!

Quote    Reply   

berniehackettjr

#30 [url]

Sep 15 13 8:14 PM

Mr. Chairman:

Just found a VNAF site, VNAFMAMN.COM.

Skyraider photos!

Lotsa models.

Have you received any messages from me lately?

Regards,

Bernie

Boy modeler

Bernie Hackett, boy modeler

Quote    Reply   

berniehackettjr

#31 [url]

Oct 13 13 10:47 AM

FSN color chip on that "other" site

Mr. Chairman:

Didja see that 3 color comparison chip on the other site recently?

Gull, COIN/ADC, and whatever that -36495 is called.

My vote in the overall gray sweepstakes is for -95, which looks to be the lightest of the 3. Keeping in mind that color chips have their limitations, of course. Could be a bleached out example of the other 2.

I keep coming back to this post, given my recent being caught in in EARLY Farm Gate/ VNAF A--1s, as part of the explaination as to what I'm looking at in them black and white pictures.

Interesting, huh?

Regards,

Bernie
Stuck in them shades of gray

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help