Remove this ad

snake45

Totally Living in the Past

Lead

Sep 6 12 5:07 AM

Tags : :

I think this Monogram Bearcat might have been the very first model airplane I built after switching back from cars in 1970 (maybe even 1969). Glued it together, did some detail painting, slapped on the kit decals and hit it with a coat of spray-can Testor Dullcote (which I shouldn't have done).

Here's all that's left of it. The canopy was scavenged to restore another Bearcat with a broken one years ago. I think I have the prop but have no idea where the landing gear parts might be. How sad it looks.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

snake45

#1 [url]

Sep 6 12 5:17 AM

Several years ago I bought another original issue kit off eBay and started putting it together. Got it painted and decaled and then disaster struck. The decals silvered horribly, and parts of the white broke off and disintegrated. And they weren't in register at all. As this was supposed to be a "quick, easy, fun" build,  I threw the thing on the Shelf of Doom in disgust.

Few months ago I rediscovered the thing and determined to cowboy up and drag it across the finish line. I had several hours in fixing the decals. Some of the clear area silvering I was able to cut off with an Xacto knife; some of it I had to paint over with MM Glossy Sea Blue paint. Also had to do quite a bit of touching up of the white letters with paint and a small brush. Also had to extend the red stripes in the insignias on one side with brush. If you look closely, you can see some of the brushwork in these pics.

Also look at the decal of the service ribbons on the cowling--you can see how far out of register the whole decal sheet was. I hadn't yet touched that area up when this pic was taken. Compare the ribbon decals in the finished photos.

Quote    Reply   

guzbro3

Retro Jedi

#4 [url]

Sep 6 12 7:18 AM

Howdy,

Another kit I have in the stash and now want to complete!  Every time I visit this place I find something that catches my eye and gives me ideas of finishing it.

Great save on the decals.  There weren't many 1/72 Monogram kits, but what there was was choice.

Brian

"Shut up" he explained.

Quote    Reply   

tooold

Retro Jedi

#5 [url]

Sep 6 12 10:36 AM

Nice paint work saving the decals ,  I like to see that kind of work .   The " Then and Now " photo is pretty cool !  This is going to be a fun group build !
  I do have a question about airplanes in general .  Your " Now " build has a gloss finish as opposed to the dullcoat you sprayed on the older build .  Which finish is correct ?   I seem to see most military planes with dull ( weathered ? ) finishes .

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

snake45

#6 [url]

Sep 6 12 11:43 AM

The Bearcats, like virtually all USN aircraft between late 1944 about about 1956 or 1957, left the factory in a paint called Glossy Sea Blue and carried that finish throughout its US service life. GSB would weather, after a long time, to a flat finish, but most airplanes were repainted long before they hit that stage. It's most often seen as a low gloss or semigloss, but you can find examples of everything from dead flat to a shine that would look at home on a Cadillac showroom, depending on how old the paint is and how well it's been maintained. I usually just shoot Model Master GSB out of the bottle and let it go at that, which is exactly what this is--no clearcoat.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 6 12 4:57 PM

Very nice "Then and Now" build! Great save on the decals also. I can't hardly see where you had to touch them up. I like your "Now" paint job. This is a very cool category!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 18 13 1:13 PM

Great job on one of my favorite planes.  I prefer the gloss on these planes.  My Dad flew Corsairs in Korea, and most of the shots he took show the planes in pretty glossy mode.  His squadron tail letter was also a B, but his number was 204 or 206.  He never got to fly a bearcat, which bums him out.

By the way, the service ribbons aren't out of registration; they were just painted on the plane while the motor was running . . . .

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help