Remove this ad

mongo

Kitbasher

Lead

Aug 17 12 10:20 AM

Tags : :

Not normally my subject matter, but felt like being first once. 

I remember having the UFO from 'The Invaders' as a kid.  I believe an Aurora issue. Built but not painted. If you painted it, you had to wait for it to dry before you could attack David Vincent.  Remember waiting with bated breath to see if the chief of police or the nice old crazy cat lady had a CROOKED LITTLE FINGER?!?  Or how about 'Thunderbirds'?  Gerry Anderson's puppets proved that you could make bad sci-fi without actually spending money.  And we ate it up!  'Star Trek' - 7 flashing lights, a voltmeter, and a slightly feminine mechanical voice constituted a 'computer'! 

Nowadays, we have computer-generated graphics rather than visible strings on marionettes, smart phones smaller than Kirk's communicator, ipads that do way more than McCoy's tri-corder ("Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not an actor!"), and stealth bombers that have more going for them than UFOs (except space travel!).  And don't get me started on shoe phones!

Damn!  I miss the old days!

P,S. - "He's dead, Jim.  You get his tri-corder.  I'll grab his wallet."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

csmo

Totally Living in the Past

#1 [url]

Aug 17 12 10:35 AM

You, sir, have a sick sense of humor. You belong here with the rest of the inmates of this asylum. Adios, Larry.

"Field Artillerymen do it with a BIGGER BANG!"

Quote    Reply   

mongo

Kitbasher

#2 [url]

Aug 17 12 11:13 AM

It's nice to know my music turns on pretty girls like you!

-Rick Moranis ('Clay Collins' character from SCTV's soap opera spoof 'The Days Of The Week')

Every time I pass a golf course, I think "What a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"!

Quote    Reply   

berniehackettjr

#3 [url]

Oct 7 12 1:25 PM

Folks:

A story about the "Invaders"

I sort of was aware of the show, but didn't watch it.Roy Thinnes?

When one of the "others' came in, they played that really strange music?

My good buddy was in the Air National Guard locally, in Supply. No, he does NOT have an Army-Navy store!

He and his companions conspired to "surprise" their supervisor. One Saturday drill, when he walked into their office, all of the EM seemingly spontaneously hummed the "Aliens" theme together and real loud.

They say he just turned around and walked back out.

My kind of people.

Regards,

Bernie
Boy modeler.

Bernie Hackett, boy modeler

Quote    Reply   

berniehackettjr

#4 [url]

Oct 7 12 1:31 PM

Momgo:

My all time favorite SFspecial effects is the 30s Buck Rogers serial with Buster Crab in a peroxide wig or dye job!. Ming the Mercilous! Wimmin in semi burlesque outfits! Alien animals, in gorilla suits with horns!

Their rocket ships - you could actually see the wires, and they had SPARKLERS in the tailpipe to give it that "rocket" look!

Impressive!

Somebody had a kit that looked like that rocket, but the price made me blanch!

Regards,

Bernie'
Boy modeler

Bernie Hackett, boy modeler

Quote    Reply   

mongo

Kitbasher

#5 [url]

Oct 7 12 6:39 PM

Watched about as much as I could stand (about 2 minutes) of 'Lost In Space' on 'METV' last night. What awful dreck!  Waiting to see 'Voyage To See What's On The Bottom'.  I remember my father saying upon seeing the monster of the week on the show, "Sure hope that idiot doesn't go home and tell his kids he's an actor!"  And let's not forget sparks flying, and bouncing from side to side when the giant squid/octopus/volcano/whatever had the 'Seaview' in it's gnarly grasp.  Nearly as lame as Batman and Robin climbing the side of a building! 

Gotta love some of the REALLY old SciFi. Used to see some oldies but baddies on MST3K when it was on.

Seem to recall 'Flesh Gordon', a very bad soft (and I mean soft) core 'adult film' in the early 70s.  Hard to tell if they were making fun of the genre, or just had really bad production values. 

Surely, you recall Roy Thinnes.  He went on from 'The Invaders", to a stellar career doing sweet boom all.

Thunderbirds Are Go!

I know for sure that I am getting old - JCPenney is using Marc Bolan's (T Rex) 'Bang A Gong' as background music in an ad! 

Every time I pass a golf course, I think "What a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

guzbro3

Retro Jedi

#6 [url]

Oct 8 12 7:27 AM

Howdy,

AHHH..."Flesh Gordon".  The wife and I went to see it on Christmas Day in Fresno.  No family to visit that year.  Love going to the movies on Christmas, hardly any one in the theater.

Brian

"Shut up" he explained.

Quote    Reply   

berniehackettjr

#7 [url]

Oct 8 13 7:06 PM

Whatinell is that in your avatar?

Brian, Madre de Dios!

What is that thing?

It looks like a sun burned chicken carcuss that swallered a fish, who's smoking?

I'm gonna have freakin' nightmares, nightmares, I tell you.

Is this another of them jackalope deals?

My congratulations. I was brought up short.

Bernie
Scarred for life boy modeler

Quote    Reply   

berniehackettjr

#9 [url]

Oct 20 13 2:11 PM

I'm losing status at the high school! Still! And them weasels are back!

Mongo:

You never fail to amaze! Well played, Sir!

I still think it's radioactive, or a science experiment gone terribly wrong.

'Course, if it could be tastefully mounted, and battery operated to play C &W music, I see commercial potential.....

Col K-Tel Hackett
Idea person

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help