Lead

May 4 17 10:52 AM

Tags : :

Airfix 1/72 Arado Ar-196A-3 
Eskadra 161, Varna, Bulgaria 1943

The Arado Ar 196 was the standard aircraft of the Kriegsmarine (German navy) throughout World War II. The plane was loved by its pilots, who found it handled well both in the air and on the water. With the loss of the German surface fleet, they were added to coastal squadrons and continued to fly reconnaissance missions and submarine hunts into late 1944. Bulgaria used the A-3 variant as a coastal patrol aircraft operating out of local ports. 

This is a vintage Airfix kit dating from the 1960's. It still builds into a nice kit but needed a lot of work around the float struts. The cockpit is very basic and the "glass" is very thick. I used some scrap decals left over from an Encore Ar-196 build to model a Bulgarian Coastal Patrol plane operating out of Varnia on the Black Sea. I painted the tail markings and stripe.

imageAirfix 1/72 Arado Ar-196A-3 Eskadra 161, Varna, Bulgaria 1943 The Arado Ar 196 was the standard aircraft of the Kriegsmarine (German navy) throughout World War II. The plane was loved by its pilots, who found it handled well both in the air and on the water. With the loss of the German surface fleet, they were added to coastal squadrons and continued to fly reconnaissance missions and submarine hunts into late 1944. Bulgaria used the A-3 variant as a coastal patrol aircraft operating out of local ports.  This is a vintage Airfix kit dating from the 1960's. It still builds into a nice kit but needed a lot of work around the float struts. The cockpit is very basic and the "glass" is very thick. I used some scrap decals left over from an Encore Ar-196 build to model a Bulgarian Coastal Patrol plane operating out of Varnia on the Black Sea.

Paul