Tags : :
~~Test Test Test. Checking to see if I can get something, anything, to post.
Well, that worked, first time in many tries. I keep losing my input nor can I cut and paste from Word. Getting a little frustrated.
About ready to give up. Have tried editing and when I go to save what I have, it gets dumped. GRRRRRR!
OK, trying to edit in small bites. I have typed this stuff at least a half dozen times. What you see is the result of a half dozen or so edits, typing a little and then saving. Sure hope this is a temporary thing.
One of my friends works with Everts Air Cargo in Fairbanks Alaska and I decided to build a model of one of their planes for him. They operate a variety of aircraft to include C-46s, C-118s, DC-9s and others. I decided on the Williams Bros C-46 for lack of anything better to do and for a complete lack of common sense. Oh, yeah. The decals were available for the C-46 too.
I contacted the current distributor of the Williams Bros Kits and apparently the original company left very little in the way of notes or records. By their guesstimate, the C-46 was first released in 1976.
The model went together in typical Williams Bros fashion. Not a Shake and Bake, but certainly buildable. By far, the biggest problem was the fit of the wings to the fuselage. That and the lack of dihedral in the wings. Placing the wing assembly into the fuselage found the top of the wing aligning with the fuselage fairing, but the bottom recessed by about 3/16th of an inch. There was also about .040 extra space from side to side. First, I added bulkheads to the fuselage to provide more gluing surface. The wing then went into the fuselage, aligning top of the wing to the fairing. .020 shims were placed on both sided of the fuselage and the wing tacked in place. The shims were removed and tape ran from wing tip to wing tip, pulling them up as far as the gaps would allow Liquid cement was liberally applied and let set for several days. The dihedral may not be scientific, but it looks good to me. The recessed lower wing surface depression was filled with several layers of Evercoat Eurosoft filler.
The paint is Tamyia TS-15 from a rattle can for the blue, the gray is Model Master Enamel Voodoo Gray, Floquil weathered black for the deicing boots and the white is Dupont Centari automotive acrylic enamel. All was polished out, decaled and over-coated with Testor's clear semi-gloss.
The decals are from DRAW Decal, are very nicely rendered and opaque. In their instructions your are told that the decals are thin and need to be handled carefully. They should have put the word "thin" in very large, very bold, lettering. Thinnest decals I have ever seen. I started with the Alaska flag on the left side of the vertical tail, right off of the sheet. It ended up in a gajillion pieces, but at least I could move the pieces around, getting the decal back together and in place - more of less. After spraying clear lacquer over the remaining decals I tackled the Dumbo cartoon on the left nose. Getting closer. Dumbo only broke up into about a dozen pieces. I got it back together, but not quite where it needs to be. Decided not to push my luck and left well enough alone. More clear lacquer and even then the decals were fragile. By this time they were getting stiff and were a little tough getting them to lay down. The also have a tendency to silver, but putting some white glue in the water under the decal takes care of this. Not the easiest decals to use, but DRAW Decal offers some very nice decals, mostly commercial based.
My photobucet album: http://s643.photobucket.com/user/myoungcc/library/Marks%20Models/American%20Aircraft/C-46R%20Everts%20Air%20Cargo
Thank you for looking. Comments are welcome.
Mark E. Young, Jr. MSgt, USAF (Ret) IPMS 5494 KC-135A - Built When Man Thought He Could Burn Water
Last Edited By: myoung135cc Feb 18 14 12:38 PM. Edited 8 times